The boys went on a trip yesterday, with Grandma and Grandpa. They are off to Fort Stevens for a 5 day camping trip and they were so excited the night before as to hardly sleep a wink! Me neither. Now just a few days before, these kids were so on my nerves that I was itching for a break. Fast forward to the night before they left? And I am almost unable to let them go…suddenly everything they do and say is so sweet. They are SO little. How can I walk past their empty bedrooms for 5 days?! Sam’s sleepy request for oatmeal. Josiah’s morning hug, where he has to bend down now to rest his head on my shoulder a moment. Caleb’s precious reminders to feed his goldfish are all so painfully dear to me that I just ache with the goodbye.
We take this photo, wave and blow kisses and John is teasing me about my wet eyes and clinging ways. I know I’m all marshmallow goo inside, but I can’t help it if my heart is all wrapped around these three precious ones. The day they were born, this happened and it hasn’t eased up a bit, as they’ve grown.
So. I am a big list maker. And to try and dry my Soft Mama eyes,I keep turning my attention to the Positives:
1. My “babies” are going to be 14, 12 and 10 this Summer. More than half grown and the day those beds are permanently empty is hurtling closer. This is a good time to start preparing my heart for that reality!
2. They are with the two people on this earth who will love them and protect them, as much as we do. Grandparents who gave up jobs and homes and friends to move closer, so they could do just THIS exact thing.
3. My husband has made all kinds of sweet, thoughtful plans to distract me. We are going to the Coast, to dinner, and there is even a surprise he won’t tell me yet. (I just love surprises!) I need to relax and just enjoy this rare treat of time alone with my best friend.
4. I get to deep-clean my house, without distraction. I spent ALL yesterday scrubbing and polishing without interruption. I actually enjoy cleaning when it’s just me, Pine-sol and diet Pepsi on ice. Oh, and Aretha blasting on the stereo, to really get the job done right.
5. Said house? It will STAY clean, until Sunday afternoon. Aaaahhh….
6. We have cell phones.
7. It’s only five days.
8. God is with them, all the time. He can be trusted, and anything that presses my heart to trust Him more? That’s a great thing.
9. My Saturday training run of 7 miles? I get to do that ON THE BEACH.
10. John has a surprise for me. Did I mention that? I am like a 3rd grader, when it comes to such things. He can’t even put my gifts under the tree until Christmas morning because I will be totally peeking and shaking that box for HOURS.
So, it’s all good. I will make it until Sunday. Only five short days until boys rush into this house with pockets full of sand and dead lizards, with marshmallow goo on their sleeping bags and five days of stinking laundry and the noise and dirt will totally engulf my quiet, tidy little house.
There is seriously something wrong with me,
that I am looking forward to that.